Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Prayer Part 3

To conclude this short series on prayer I could not think of a better passage to end on then John 17. This is one of my favorite passages in scripture. Jesus is praying to His Father right before He is betrayed by Judas.  We get a glimpse into the relationship between the Father and the Son. He prays for the disciples and for the all who will believe in the passage. That is us! To know that the Son of God was praying for me over two thousand years ago right before He was crucified is amazing.  Starting in verse 13 I went through and wrote down some thoughts on the different verses. I encourage you to spend some time going through this passage and thanking God for what He did for you and what how He continues to work. An important element in our daily prayer should be thanksgiving and adoration. Giving thanks makes us realize all the blessings in our life. Adoration takes the focus off of us and onto our Savior, which is where it should always be.

I am coming to you now, but I say these things while I am still in the world, so that they may have the full measure of my joy within them.  I have given them your word and the world has hated them, for they are not of the world any more than I am of the world.
(The world hates us because we are no longer of the world.  John 15:18-19)

I do not ask that you take them out of the world, but that you keep them from the evil one.
(How often when we pray to overcome sin do we ask God to remove the temptation or the circumstances?  Let me tell you something there will always be sin on this earth. We cannot get away from it, but we can overcome it. Deliverance does not mean we will not be tempted, Jesus was tempted and did not sin. Deliverance does mean we will be able to overcome the temptation and not sin. 1 Corinthians 10:13)

They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth.
(Everyone is searching for truth. Non-Christians try to find truth in many different things; they are always searching for answers. As Christians we know the truth and the truth is what sets us free. John 8:32)

As you sent me into the world, so I have sent them into the world.
(This is the Great commission. Matthew 28:18-20)

And for their sake I consecrate myself, that they also may be sanctified in truth. "I do not ask for these only, but also for those who will believe in me through their word, that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me.
(Unity of the body of Christ. In many of Paul’s letters he exhorts the churches to have unity. In 1 Corinthians Paul writes about each part of the body having different parts but all working together in unity. 1 Corinthians 12:12-27)

The glory that you have given me I have given to them, that they may be one even as we are one,
(Is that not amazing?)  

I in them and you in me, that they may become perfectly one, so that the world may know that you sent me and loved them even as you loved me.
(God in Christ and Christ in us. Colossians 1:26-27.)

Father, I desire that they also, whom you have given me, may be with me where I am, to see my glory that you have given me because you loved me before the foundation of the world.  O righteous Father, even though the world does not know you, I know you, and these know that you have sent me. I made known to them your name, and I will continue to make it known, that the love with which you have loved me may be in them, and I in them."
(Let us never get tired of hearing the gospel. We should live gospel centered lives that are focused on spreading it to those around us. The point of our lives is to point to Christ.)

I hope you have been encouraged by this short series.  If you have any questions or comments I would enjoy hearing them. Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment