Saturday, September 3, 2011

Consider it Pure Joy

Joy unspeakable that won't go away
And just enough strength
To live for today
So I never have to worry
What tomorrow will bring
'Cause my faith is on solid rock
I am counting on God
In the last month I have had several conversations with friends on the topic of joy. I believe that joy often times gets confused for happiness. Joy and happiness are very different and if we get them confused then we may miss out of finding true joy. Happiness is an emotional state. I can do things things that can make me happy. I can go to Starbucks and order a Venti Iced White Chocolate Mocha and I will be happy. If the Broncos win or I do well on a test I am happy. As with any emotion it will come and go during the course of a day. Happiness is fleeting, Joy is constant. 
The word for joy in the Greek is “Chara.” Chara is derived from the Greek word “Charis” which means “grace.” Rick Renner writes, “This is important to note, for it tells us categorically that chara is produced by charis of God. This means 'joy' is not a human-based happiness that comes and goes...Rather, true 'joy' is divine in origin...it is a Spirit-given expression that flourishes best in hard times. For example, in 1 Thessalonians 1:6 the Thessalonians were under great stress due to persecution; yet in the midst of it all, they continued to experience great joy. In fact, the Greek strongly implies that their supernatural joy was due to the Holy Spirit working in them.”  
I have always had a hard time understanding verses such as James 1:2 which says, Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds. The reason I had trouble with the verse is because I was only thinking of joy as happiness. I had the same problem with 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 which says, “Be joyful always;  pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” I could not understand how I could be joyful always. But then I started studying joy and how it is used in the Old and New Testaments and I came up with the definition.  This is only my definition so it is not perfect, but I hope it helps you grasp what a wonderful thing God has given us with joy.
“Joy- having a better understanding of God’s enduring faithfulness and grace which leads to no longer worrying about trials and tribulations in life. The result is thanksgiving and praise to God in every situation in life.”
With this definition I was finally able to understand how I could “Consider it pure joy” and “Be joyful always.” Happiness is something we can find by ourselves where as genuine joy can only be found through having communion with God and the Holy Spirit working through us. 
Romans 15:13 “May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.”

1 comment:

  1. Very thought-provoking and excellent writing. Good job, John!

    ReplyDelete