Saturday, March 30, 2013

Easter


Over 2000 years ago a man hung on a cross. Many had been crucified before him and there would be many more after him, but there something drastically different about this crucifixion. My Lord, my God, my Savior, the Messiah was crucified that day. As He hung on the cross He bore the full wrath God for every single sin and failure in my life. Then three days later He rose again because He had conquered death. Now one day I will be with Him for all of eternity because of the finished work of Christ on the cross. 

This is the story of Easter and it is one that I have heard hundreds of times in my life, but as I sit here this morning I am still amazed.  "I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength, that he considered me trustworthy, appointing me to his service. Even though I was once a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent man, I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and unbelief.  The grace of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst.  But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen." 1 Timothy 1:12-17. Celebrating Easter reminds us of who we were, what Christ did on the cross, and who we are now because of it. Through faith in Him and His grace poured out on us we are:

Redeemed
Declared righteous
Holy before Him
Made new
Forgiven
Loved
And the list goes on and on. 

I hope you have heard these truths many times in your life as I have, but I always need to be reminded of them. As we celebrate Easter tomorrow I pray that we would overflow with thankfulness because our debt has been paid. Let us be people who are always reminding each other of the gospel and live lives that are glorifying and pleasing to God. Happy Easter.

On a hill far away, stood an old rugged Cross
The emblem of suff'ring and shame
And I love that old Cross where the dearest and best
For a world of lost sinners was slain

So I'll cherish the old rugged Cross
Till my trophies at last I lay down
I will cling to the old rugged Cross
And exchange it some day for a crown

Oh, that old rugged Cross so despised by the world
Has a wondrous attraction for me
For the dear Lamb of God, left his Glory above
To bear it to dark Calvary

In the old rugged Cross, stain'd with blood so divine
A wondrous beauty I see
For the dear Lamb of God, left his Glory above
To pardon and sanctify me

To the old rugged Cross, I will ever be true
Its shame and reproach gladly bear
Then He'll call me some day to my home far away
Where his glory forever I'll share

No comments:

Post a Comment